Friday 27 May 2011

Vincent To My Ears *Vincent Price Special*

For as long as I can remember, I have been a massive fan of the late and extremely great Vincent Price.


 Image Provided by Google® Images


It was very much fuelled from my parents being huge fans of his many films. They had a large collection of VHS sitting out and smack bang in the middle of all of them was a collection of about 15 of his films. I to this day have not seen them due to losing them in moving house or my mum simply refusing to play them because they are like family heirlooms to her now.

But the films I have taken upon myself to see, I cannot help but fall in love with that voice. It sticks with me for weeks after I have watched something and compels me to watch more.

The first time I really remember hearing his distinctive, terror filling (some would say sexy) utterly astounding voice though, was "Basil, The Great Mouse Detective" as Professor Ratigan.


Image Provided by Google® Images


This villain, in this Disney classic, was easily one of the most sinister and pure evil that there has ever been, and that was very much down to the fact that he had one of the best voices powering behind the actions. 

The main reason I have targeted the voice specifically, is because there was a piece that I have never been able to forget entitled "Vincent". It is a short created by Tim Burton and Rick Heinrichs following the story of a little kid called Vincent Malloy, who aspires to be Vincent Price. With this he starts to live out different scenarios of how he thinks Vincent Price is in his head. With everything from a reference to "House Of Wax", to quotes from Edgar Allan Poe's "The Raven", the animated short has captured that persona of Vincent Price perfectly and so effectively. Even down to it's black and white look.

Since first seeing this in 2008 on the special edition of "The Nightmare Before Christmas" in the special features, I have not stopped watching it. Hands down, one of the best shorts out there. All thanks to the star and subject matter of the short, Mr Price.




This man is simply amazing. I could sit here all day and ramble on and on telling you about how much he was a true inspiration, a genius to film, how he is just an absolute delight to sit and watch and have grace your ears. But if your reading this, you already know what a great man he was.



To mark what would have been his 100th birthday Strange Kids Club have been posting various things from across Vincent's career. Check it out and reminisce about a true Legend on his 100th birthday!

No comments:

Post a Comment