Sunday 5 June 2011

This is Art Attack!


So here in the UK we have a show that was on TV when I was a kid and continued to be on TV until 2007 called "Art Attack". This show was basically a kids art show where they showed how to make various funny and "Arty" little trinkets to show to your friends and where the artists on the show also made big GIANT art attacks and kids would "oooo" and "aaaa" all over the shop for it.


Admittedly a lot of stuff wasn't great, but when you were a kid in the 90's, this show was gold! The one man that held it all together and showed us over the years to do all these creations was Neil Buchanan. This is the guy that went all out and came up with a hell of a lot of these designs and did the massive art attacks when in all honesty he was just some Scouse lad who was kind of good at art, but that was the magic part. You were a kid watching this show in absolute awe that this dude could do all these amazing things.




Adding to this you had characters like the head coming in every time he had finished giving his 2 cents, but also showing him making a royal mess of his attempt and a little joke as well.

Well Today I heard the unfortunate news that they are reviving the show "Art Attack"... without any of the original cast or crew. They are taking it from it's CITV home and moving it onto Disney Junior *sigh* this means there is some new younger guy doing all the art attacks, I don't mind when they revive something, but as long as it is the same cast. This guy doesn't even do the BIG art attacks, some other guy does and the quirky character they have in the place of "Head" is some palm tree! No! Not happy!
I for one will be finding some old art attack videos on the web and watching them until my eyes bleed!

Or trying my hand at some of the Art Attack's after all these years!

2 comments:

  1. I remember this! I used to want to try and follow what the dude was doing but I got halfway then discovered I needed PVA glue :(! Always a killer. Loved the Big Art Attack he did in New York by getting everyone to turn their lights off :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. The mixtures of one part water and one part PVA glue always got me. His big art attacks were always totally spectacular, I remember that new york one. That was ace!

    ReplyDelete