Wednesday 22 June 2011

GAME ON! *Indie Game: The Movie Special*

There is a movie that I have been following for some time now. The movie hasn't been released yet, and still I just know it is going to be a favourite of mine and many many others. This movie is both a show of great film making (if the little teaser videos are anything to go on) and a very informative insight into the world of indie games and their development. I am of course talking about...


This film has been hugely anticipated for some time now. Ever since I stumbled across it a while back, it has been the first movie that I want to see that has come to mind every time. This little clip of Edmund McMillen is what first attracted me to them. 


I was in a complete haze of Super Meat Boy fever. Like a lot of people around that time, the thought of an actual game coming for the arcade market that might grab your attention for longer than two seconds was most exciting. So all amounts of fandom kicked in and I went on a hunt for all things SMB and Team Meat. As soon as I spotted this clip though, it became less about Super Meat Boy and more about "Who the hell made this amazing short clip?!" This was a perfectly put together clip and so easy to watch and fall in love with. The shots are utterly gorgeous and the way the content is put across, as much as it had a lot to do with the man himself, the manner in which it was put together had me glued. So who were these people? 



These two have changed the way I think about films forever. I honestly cannot explain what it is, I don't know whether it is just the way all the little shorts and the trailer are shot that does it, but I find myself comparing other documentaries with the thought of "This isn't as good as IGTM". It is a totally biased way to look on things and I know when critiquing things you should look at it on a whole. But once you have found something as amazing as this to you, you cannot help but compare it. These guys have made documentary perfection so far in my book, and the film isn't even properly finished and out yet.

Well it is now just mere months until a release for the film and they have just announced some amazing news for the film. This trailer for a start is the most hard-hitting thing I have watched in a while and just pulls my emotions from one point to whole other on entirely.
You know what? Rather than have me tell you any more, I think it's about time you watched this official trailer (That's one announcement) and headed on over to their site and checked out all the content. If you like what you see, help them out. They have a new Kickstarter Campaign that you could always help out with, or the old classic of buying the DVD and if a hard copy of a film isn't your fashion and you want to "get with the times" they have a digital version for pre-order also (Another Announcement).


James and Lisanne... Thank you so much for this piece of magic.


1 comment:

  1. Wow, Tom!

    Thanks so much for the super kind words (and of course the mountain of support over the past little while). Reading your article kinda leaves me speechless - in the best way possible.

    When setting out to do this project, never would we expect such a fantastic, wonderful response to our work. It warms our hearts, gives goosebumps - but most importantly, makes us want to get back to work and keep going.

    When you work in a relatively vacuum on something for so long, it becomes really difficult to know if you're doing things right. And feedback like this makes us think that maybe we just might be :)

    But, we'll try and do even better.

    Thanks again, You totally made our day with this,

    -James ( & Lisanne)

    ReplyDelete