Thursday 6 October 2011

Toying around *Interview with The Other Guy*

If you all can remember a wee while back now, I did a feature on an amazing artist. His vinyl toys are something to be utterly marveled at. Well, I got the chance to catch up with this artist and all round great guy, The Other Guy (Trevor Gusikoski). On the 15th of October he will be holding his second art show at Unreal City in Saskatoon Canada.  This was what we babbled about.



Hey Trevor! How are you?

How am i? tired, always! Haha trying to get as much done for the art show as i can (paintings, prints, toys...,) in the middle of moving to a new place, so, life is keeping me busy that's for sure.
That sounds familiar... well, except the art show part. For all of those that may not know your work or a lot about you. Tell us a bit about yourself. 

I'm the quiet guy from up north in Saskatoon (Canada, for those who don't know Haha) who never says much, but I'm always paying attention to whats going on what people are doing around me.
I've always loved drawing and airbrushing for as long as i can remember, then when i got older i discovered what DIY vinyl toys are....and never looked back, vinyl toys are what i truly love to paint!

What kind of things do you take influence from (mainly) when your designing something? 

Pretty much all my influence comes from video games and cartoons (childhood favorites) sometimes movies and lately I've got a lot of inspiration from other artists, no copying them, but seeing what they do and then pushing myself a little further. Also, and probably the biggest influence is from Halloween...not the movie, the holiday. It's like if i can paint a character as it is, or as a vampire, or mummy or ghost i am going to do it as something different that has more of a Halloween feel to it. You can probably tell from all of the shirts i have made, all monsters of some sort haha



 So has your love for monsters and ghouls stemmed from horror/Halloween themed films growing up? Or just a general all round love for all things spooky and a little bit cooky? 

I can't say its from enjoying them growing up...because when i was younger any type of horror movie scared me Haha but now, i love horror movies of all kinds, monster, slasher, gore, all of them. And anything that's spooky, creepy, "cooky" in any form, definitely catches my eye.

Haha! I was like that when I was younger as well.
So, you have your new art show coming up. What kind of things are people to expect from it? 

Lots and lots of new Munnys! I even got to do a 18" Mega Munny for this show too. Some limited edition prints (i think i might make only 10 of each) i am also trying to make a new t-shirt to release at the show as well! It is going to be better than my first show that's for sure.

Awesome shit man! What made you want to start personalising your own Munnys? Was it just general curiosity of the different ways you could portray your art? 

I don't really know, to be honest. I got one a few years ago for Christmas and it took me almost a year to take it out of the box a paint something on it haha when i did finally paint it i really liked it, it was more fun to me than painting/drawing on a piece of paper or something.


 Speaking of other artists and their influences on you. Which artists do you look up to the most? Or just generally really like? 

That's a tough one, because there isn't just one i like or look up to. For a while there were like 1 or 2 i checked all the time, constantly, but then noticed the way i started painting was looking like how they painted, so i kind of stopped that, trying to figure out my own way/style of doing things....and pretty much anyone who does any type of art as their job/income i look up to Haha

So veering off of art for a second (sort of) You are also a music fan. What would you say was your favourites just now? Also is there anything that really gets you in the mood to just get creative?

My favourites right now....i would have to say Most Precious Blood, Ringworm, Withdrawal and Touche Amore. I'm always in the mood for them. One album in particular that i really like listening to while i paint is Crack the Skye by Mastodon. But, its not just those, i actually listen to a whole range of different music, but i wont get into them right now Haha



So back to "The Other Guy" again. The name itself is nice and simple for yourself, but what made you come up with it? 

Ooh the name huh? It can be a long story, so I'll give you a quick short version. A few years ago some friends and I were having a hungover breakfast before the drive home, i went to the bathroom and when one of my friends sat down he noticed someone was missing (me), but literally couldn't remember who this missing person was and asked "where's the other guy?"...and ever since then my friends have called me The Other Guy!

Haha Brilliant! So a question I feel has to get asked. What would you like to happen with The Other Guy in the future? Or to put it a different way. Where would you like to see The Other Guy in 5 years time? 

In 5 years?
best case scenario, its my job! That would be the best. But, i would say just more popular, more people know about it, making more toys and more shirts.

Well I think that about raps up the interview buddy. Last question for you being, How you feeling after your first interview? Did you have fun?

The interview was fun, some really good questions! i enjoyed it for sure.


Interviewing Trevor was amazing. He is a great guy and his art is spectacular. You read right also, that was his first ever interview! I was so honored to be able to have this opportunity. 
As part of what is becoming a interview tradition, Trevor did a little something special with the blank template. 


(Be sure to click this to full size to see the awesomeness)

Trevor...The Other Guy. We Thank You!

2 comments:

  1. Awesome interview! I haven't heard of half of those bands so I've got some serious catching up to do this week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another fun interview! Always good :D I will be doing much of the same. Ringworm and mastadon I had heard of. But that's it.

    ReplyDelete